THE O’TOOLE FILES
Read columns written by former LD40 Senator Kevin O’Toole, who served in the NJ State Legislature for 22 years:
Kevin O’Toole is the managing partner of O’Toole Scrivo:
Mr. O’Toole has a varied practice encompassing toxic torts, environmental law, risk management, class actions, complex litigation and corporate investigations. He is routinely called upon by Fortune 500 companies to obtain cost-effective, early resolution of complex matters and sought out to provide detailed analyses of sophisticated matters, evaluate case preparation, predict outcomes and assist in the development of strategic risk management planning. Mr. O’Toole has served as both National Coordinating Counsel for corporate clients and operational leader of multi-jurisdictional litigation teams that have been responsible for trying dozens of high profile multi-million dollar matters.
Mr. O’Toole is a founding and managing partner of O’Toole Scrivo. He has had a long and distinguished career in the New Jersey legislature and is a former member of the New Jersey State Senate. In 2017. Mr. O’Toole was appointed as Chairman of the Board of Commissioners of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, where he is responsible for supervising over $65 billion in assets and the largest infrastructure projects in the country. Mr. O’Toole’s unique combination of private and public sector experience provides the Firm’s clients with unparalleled advice and insight into their matters.
Honors And Awards:
- President’s Award (in recognition of exemplary service to the Public, the Bench, and the Bar) presented by the New Jersey State Bar Association
- 2015 NJ State Chamber of Commerce Legislator of The Year
- CLM Professionals of the Year Award Winner for Outside Counsel
- Lipman-Franks Award for State Legislative Service presented by Legal Services of NJ
- Trailblazer Award presented by Asian Pacific American Lawyers Association of NJ
- Community Service and Leadership Award presented by Korean American League for Civic Action
- Outstanding Contributions to Women and Families presented by Displaced Homemakers Network of NJ
- Legislator of the Year presented by NJ State Police Benevolent Association
- Grand Lodge Order of the Elks – Distinguished Citizenship Award
MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS
- Chairman, Board of Commissioners of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (August 1, 2017, to present)
- Commissioner Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (July 2, 2017, to present)
- State of New Jersey, Senator (2008 – 2017)
- State of New Jersey, Assemblyman (1996 – 2008)
- State of New Jersey, Senator (2001 – 2002)
- Township of Cedar Grove, Mayor/Council Member (1989 – 1996)
- National Committee Member, Council on Litigation Management (CLM) and serves on the Product Liability Committee
- Silver Card Member PBA
- Life Member Cedar Grove Fire Department
Visit O’Toole Scrivo’s website here.
Kevin J. O’Toole (born October 5, 1964) is an American Republican Party politician, who served in the New JerseySenate. O’Toole represented the 40th legislative district, which consists of parts of Bergen, Essex, Morris, and Passaiccounties from 2008 to 2017.
O’Toole was elected to the Assembly in 1995 and re-elected five times. He served in the Senate from May 2001 to January 2002, and was elected to the Senate again on November 6, 2007. O’Toole serves in the Senate on the Budget and Appropriations Committee and on the Senate Judiciary Government Committee. He also served as the Senate Minority Whip.
In January 2016, O’Toole announced that he would not seek re-election in 2017. In February 2017, Governor Chris Christie nominated him to a six-year term on the Board of Commissioners of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to succeed Pat Schuber. The State Senate confirmed his nomination in March 2017, though O’Toole has indicated that it may take a few months to wrap up his time in the Senate before he takes office as a commissioner.
O’Toole resigned from the State Senate on July 1, 2017 after being confirmed to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.