Casino Association of New Jersey Statement Regarding the Reopening of Atlantic City Casinos
Atlantic City, NJ – Steve Callender, president of the Casino Association of New Jersey (CANJ), issued the following statement on behalf of the association regarding the reopening of some Atlantic City casinos this week:
“For each of the Casino Association of New Jersey (CANJ) members, our top priority is the health and safety of our employees, guests and fellow residents. We are taking every precaution to minimize the risk of exposure to COVID-19, which is why we worked with our regional healthcare provider AtlantiCare, the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement (DGE) and UNITE HERE to develop a comprehensive and prudent reopening plan that ensures a clean and safe environment for all guests and employees.
Casino property protocols will be wide-ranging and will include the following safety measures:
- Significant cleaning and disinfecting enhancements
- Social distancing throughout the properties and gaming floors
- All hotel and casino staff and guests will wear masks
- All employees will be educated on signs and symptoms of COVID-19
- All employees will be screened at the beginning of work shift
- Signage throughout the properties will remind guests of new rules
- Nightclubs, buffets, and large venues will remain closed until larger group gatherings are permitted
Per Governor Murphy’s Executive Order No. 158 that was issued on Monday, June 29 and temporarily paused the resumption of indoor dining, casino properties reopening this week will make the following accommodations for guests to help enhance their stay:
- Food and beverage facilities will offer take-out food services for consumption in rooms or in outside areas
- Room service will be available to hotel guests
- Certain restaurants will offer outdoor dining
- Food and beverages, including alcoholic beverages, will be served at outdoor venues, but, by Governor Murphy’s Order, guests are not permitted to consume any food or beverages in any indoor area of the casino or hotel except for guest rooms
- Smoking will not be permitted on the casino floor
Atlantic City casinos are ready and excited to welcome back employees and guests to our properties, but we recognize the experience will be different than what our guests have come to expect from the beachfront destination. We are living in unprecedented times, and we must be vigilant. That is why we are taking extraordinary measures to ensure we are well-positioned to welcome back thousands of hardworking employees and valued guests. In the best interest of their guests and employees, properties such as Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa have decided to remain closed given the impact Executive Order No. 158 will have on the experience they are accustomed to providing and look forward to reopening soon.
This is a critical moment for our industry. Atlantic City has seen strong gains in recent years, which were abruptly halted because of this global health and economic crisis. We know rebuilding from this crisis won’t be easy, but we are committed to helping Atlantic City and New Jersey recover and continue the revitalization of this world-class resort destination.
We look forward to a successful reopening and welcoming employees and guests back safely to Atlantic City.”
About the Casino Association of New Jersey
The Casino Association of New Jersey (CANJ) is a trade organization that provides a collective voice for the Atlantic City casino industry by facilitating the exchange of information and ideas between our industry, small businesses, Atlantic City stakeholders and the general public. The CANJ consistently advocates for legislation and initiatives that support the ongoing revitalization of Atlantic City into a world-class destination resort. A thriving casino industry drives economic growth, job creation, increased tax revenue for state and local budgets, and prosperity for city residents, hardworking families and businesses which rely on the casinos for their livelihood. Our goals are simple: protect and grow the tens of thousands of jobs the casino industry supports across New Jersey and continue Atlantic City’s transformation into a world-class destination resort. For additional information, please visit www.casinosnj.org.