Senate Committees to Meet on Thursday
Trenton – Senate committees will be meeting in-person tomorrow, May 6, 2021, to consider a number of important bills.
The Senate Community and Urban Affairs Committee will be meeting at 10:00 AM in Committee Room 4, 1st Floor, State House Annex, Trenton, New Jersey. Their agenda includes the following legislation:
· S-242, sponsored by Senator Troy Singleton, would establish the “New Jersey American Dream Act” and appropriate $25 million to provide down payments and home repair assistance to low and moderate income first-time buyers;
· S-3688, sponsored by Senate President Steve Sweeney and Senator Singleton, would provide for a regional economic impact report and review by affected municipalities for certain proposed retail warehouse developments; and
· S-3669, sponsored by Senator Singleton, would provide mortgage payment relief for residential property owners during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Senate Labor Committee will also be meeting at 10:00 AM in Committee Room 6, 1st Floor, State House Annex, Trenton, New Jersey. Their agenda includes the following legislation:
· S-397, sponsored by Senate Majority Leader Loretta Weinberg and Senator Shirley Turner, would expand the scope of law prohibiting age discrimination; and
· S-3714, sponsored by Senators Fred Madden and Vin Gopal, would exempt any nonprofit or governmental employer which has elected to make payments in lieu of contributions (PILOCs) from liability for PILOCs for unemployment benefits paid to employees laid off by the employer during that public health emergency and any extensions of it.
Additionally, the Senate Transportation Committee will be meeting at 12:00 PM in Committee Room 6, and the Senate Health, Human Services, and Senior Citizens Committee will meet soon after at 1:00 PM in Committee Room 4. Featured in the Senate Health, Human Services, and Senior Citizens Committee agenda is S-2955, sponsored by Senators M. Teresa Ruiz and Nellie Pou, which would authorize SNAP benefits to pay for grocery delivery charges.
Watch the proceeding live here: https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/media/live_audio.asp?SESSION=2020
Facemasks and social distancing will be required for all participating in or attending the hearings.