Somerset County Providing Seniors with Nutritious “Grab & Go” Meals at Senior Centers
Program Is Available at All Six County Senior Centers for Registered Senior Wellness Center Participants
Somerville, NJ – The Somerset County Office on Aging and Disability Services is providing free, nutritious meals to Senior Wellness Center participants through the “Grab and Go Curbside Lunch Program” as an alternative to congregate dinning. This program is available at all six sites throughout the county every Tuesday and Thursday beginning on August 20th. The “Grab and Go” program allows for safe social distancing to protect against transmission of COVID-19, while continuing to provide healthy meals for Somerset County’s aging population.
“COVID-19 restrictions mean Senior Centers, unfortunately, can no longer have group meals indoors, but we are committed to providing nutritious meals even under these circumstances,” said Freeholder Brian Levine, liaison to the Office on Aging and Disability Services. “Our staff is continually innovative and proactive to serve the needs of our senior community; from Zoom exercise and art classes to our Grab and Go lunch program.”
The Grab and Go Curbside Lunch Program provides registered Senior Wellness Center participants with an option to order boxed lunch and/or frozen meal(s), with both meals available with or without meat. Each meal meets one-third (1/3) of the daily nutritional requirements of an older adult (60+).
Meals are available at all six, county-operated Senior Wellness Centers on Tuesdays and Thursdays between the hours of 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Reservations are required, and are available by calling the nearest Senior Center by 10 a.m. the day before meal pick up. Senior Centers are closed on weekends, so reservations will only be taken on weekdays. Upon arrival on the day of pickup, Grab and Go participants should call the Senior Center and follow their directions to pick up their meals from the curbside of the center.
The six “Grab and Go Curbside Lunch Program” locations are:
- Senior Wellness Center at Basking Ridge – 202 Mount Airy Road, Basking Ridge (on the VNA Campus); (908) 203-6101
- Senior Wellness Center at Bridgewater – 876 East Main Street, Bridgewater (next to TD Bank Ballpark); (908) 204-3435
- Senior Wellness Center at Hillsborough – 339 South Branch Road, Hillsborough (diagonal from the YMCA); (908) 369-8700
- Montgomery Senior Center – 356 Skillman Road, Skillman (across from Montgomery High School); 609-466-0846
- Quail Brook Senior Center – 625 New Brunswick Road, Somerset (on the golf course); (732) 563-4213
- Warrenbrook Senior Center – 500 Warrenville Road, Warren (on the golf course); (908) 753-9440
If a participant must cancel, they should call their Senior Center 24 hours in advance I possible.
Residents who are eligible to participate in a Senior Wellness Program but have not yet registered may do so by calling the Somerset County Office on Aging & Disability Services at (908) 704-6346.