The New Beginnings West New York team announced today the five candidates who will run for Commissioners of the Town of West New York.
Three current Commissioners who broke with the Roque administration are running on the slate – Commissioner Gabriel Rodriguez; Commissioner Cosmo A. Cirillo; and Commissioner Margarita A. Guzman. The New Beginnings West New York slate also includes two new candidates – Victor M. Barrera and Yoleisy Yanez who will also be on the ballot at the May Municipal election.
The team said the campaign will focus on the issues that truly affect West New York. Among the priorities are addressing the lack of parking, continuing to ensure that taxes remain stable, building a new public library and recreation center for our children and a new community center for the residents of our town, promoting economic and cultural development and increasing efforts to beautify and clean our streets.
About the Candidates
Commissioner Gabriel Rodriguez is working hard to promote public safety in West New York by initiating a full community policing walking program. Under his leadership, he stabilized taxes in 2018 and introduced the Go Green Program to clean up the town’s parks and streets.
• Business Accounting Manager for the West New York Board of Education • Executive Master of Business Administration Degree from New Jersey Institute of Technology & Bachelor of Arts Degree from New Jersey City University • Experience in state and federal government working for the New Jersey Legislature, Congressman Albio Sires, and Senator Robert Menendez
Commissioner Cosmo A. Cirillo is focused on expanding recreation services and pushing for a new public library for the residents of West New York. He has established additional recreation programs and added the spray park at the municipal pool for the town’s children.
• Doctoral Candidate in Educational Leadership at Caldwell University & Master of Public Administration Degree from Seton Hall University • Former President of the West New York Board of Education • Experience in municipal government and state government working for Assemblywoman Angelica Jimenez and Assembly Speaker Vincent Prieto
Commissioner Margarita A. Guzman renovated a total of five parks throughout West New York including two dog parks, 50th Street Park, St. Mary’s Park, and Miller Water Park. She revived the town’s Department of Cultural Affairs with the annual Multicultural Festival.
• Spanish Teacher for the Hudson County Schools of Technology • Graduate of Santiago University of Technology and is currently pursuing her Master of Arts Degree in Education from Saint Peter’s University • Juan Pablo Duarte Community Service Award from the Town of West New York & Recipient of the Hudson County History Month Women of Achievement Award
Victor M. Barrera has dedicated his life to working with senior citizens in our community as a successful small business owner. He is also a new volunteer Parking Authority Commissioner who is advocating for more parking spaces throughout West New York.
• Founder of the Casa Manito Adult Day Care Center and the Rise & Shine Adult Medical Day Care Center • Former Executive Director of Senior Citizen Services for the Town of West New York • Former Trustee of the West New York Board of Education and Member of the West New York Planning Board
Yoleisy Yanez is a lifelong educator who is an advocate for the students in our school district. She was one of the teachers who implemented the West New York Middle School’s environmental initiative and coordinator for the annual career fair.
• Supervisor of Special Education for the West New York School District. • Doctoral Candidate in Education at Walden University & Master of Arts Degree in Special Education from New Jersey City University. • Recipient of the Elena Mederos Leadership Award from the National Association of Cuban American Women.