Update: Tedesco rescinded the executive order after consultation with the Governor’s Office.
Hackensack, N.J. — Bergen County Executive Jim Tedesco on Tuesday announced that the implementation of Executive Order 2020-1B (PDF below) will be postponed until Saturday, March 21st at 8 a.m. in order to provide additional clarity and to be in conjunction with state government. The County aspects of the Executive Order will stay in effect.
On Monday night, Tedesco announced the executive order, which expands restrictions on public and private activity and was set to commence 11pm on Tuesday night. It includes the temporary closure of shopping centers, offices and other facilities. County parks shall remain open only for passive recreation in groups no bigger than four individuals.
Tedesco released the following statement regarding the announcement of the extension of implementation of the Executive Order declaring a State of Emergency until Saturday, March 21, at 8 A.M:
“Yesterday evening, I first presented Executive Order 2020-1B, which outlined additional measures to slow the spread of COVID-19, including the closure of all non-essential businesses.
Since then, I have been in discussion with Governor Phil Murphy’s administration to examine the impact of my proposed Executive Order. As I said yesterday, while these may seem like extraordinary measures, these are extraordinary times. Our procedures make every attempt to be consistent with State guidelines, but we must remember that the severity of the situation in Bergen County is greater than any other area in the State.
In addressing the concerns of our residents and businesses, today’s extension of the implementation date will provide clarity for the proposed Executive Order that is to go into effect this Saturday, March 21, at 8 A.M.
I remain steadfast in protecting all who visit, work, and live in Bergen County. However, this situation is changing each hour and we are constantly reevaluating the measures put into place to protect the health of our County. We want to make sure that individuals and businesses are able to follow all CDC, OSHA, New Jersey Department of Health, and Bergen County Department of Health guidelines.
I would like to thank the hundreds of individuals who have already volunteered to assist the County and our residents during this time of need. Their overwhelming support highlights the best of Bergen.
I look forward to our continued work with our federal, state, and local partners to protect all of New Jersey’s residents during this public health emergency.”
Earlier Monday, the presumptive positive case count was 41 in the county; by the evening, the DOH reported 61 cases, according to the NJDOH website (the NJDOH website was updated on Tuesday afternoon, and cites 84 cases; Governor indicated the total statewide case count is 267 as of Tuesday afternoon). Tedesco said that a 3-year old was among the positive cases. Following the first fatality, the county now has 2 deaths related to the virus, as of Monday evening. On Tuesday morning, Saddle Brook Mayor White released a statement on the second death within the county – the third in the state as a whole – confirming the person was a Saddle Brook resident.
Last week, Tedesco announced a supplemental executive order to the state of emergency declaration, and had ordered schools to close and transition to online learning prior the statewide schools shutdown.
17 positives are pending further information.
3 Positive Test Result(s)
114 Positive Test Result(s)
10 Positive Test Result(s)
8 Positive Test Result(s)
45 Positive Test Result(s)
2 Positive Test Result(s)
34 Positive Test Result(s)
6 Positive Test Result(s)
15 Positive Test Result(s)
32 Positive Test Result(s)
8 Positive Test Result(s)
18 Positive Test Result(s)
16 Positive Test Result(s)
26 Positive Test Result(s)
19 Positive Test Result(s)
40 Positive Test Result(s)
1 Positive Test Result(s)EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 2020-1B final