Insider NJ’s Morning Intelligence Briefing: 6/9/2023
Below is Insider NJ’s Morning Intelligence Briefing:
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “We haven’t discussed it as a caucus yet, but the reality is it’s a tax cut. We’re not necessarily opposed to that. We just think it could be broader and help more of our state’s population across the board. I’d say there’d be support, and I may even support it myself if this is the only option the majority party would be likely to post.” – Assembly GOP Leader DiMaio on the StayNJ proposal
TOP STORY: Some Somerset GOP Members Vote ‘No Confidence’ in Chairman Howes
Governor Murphy and state officials held a press conference on the state’s air quality due to wildfires, suggesting that people stay indoors and wear masks outside.
Former President Trump was indicted in the classified documents investigation.
Hudson County Clerk Maldonado released a statement on primary day election result delays.
Senator Booker reintroduced the ‘Combating International Islamophobia Act’.
ICYMI: Insider NJ’s Who’s Up and Who’s Down; Murphy leapt into the ‘book wars’; GOP voters say Trump strongest nominee, Christie fares poorly; Murphy highlighted $100M boardwalk investment; time ticks down on debt ceiling; Murphy announced staff transitions; Murphy to nominate Noriega to SC; congestion pricing rallying point; FDU poll: Murphy 44% approval
The NJ State Building and Construction Trades Council endorsed legislative candidates in the general election.
Some Somerset County Republicans expressed ‘no confidence’ in Chairman Howes amid intra-party pushing and pulling; the anti-Howe faction cited a lack of transparency and results from Howes, while the chairman said he takes pride in his leadership of the party.
Following the primary, and low turnout for both parties, the NJGOP still faces an uphill battle for control of the Legislature in the fall elections.
The mayors of Morristown, South Orange, Chatham, and High Bridge endorsed Jersey City Mayor Fulop for Governor.
In LD26, former Assemblywoman DeCroce expressed concern about the ‘direction of the Morris GOP’ following the primary, arguing that ‘poor voter turnout’ is a ‘warning sign’. Commissioner Mastrangelo thanked those who voted for him in the GOP Senate primary.
In LD27, Collazos-Gill’s primary victory is doubly historic, according to NorthJersey.com.
ICYMI: Primary turnout abysmally low; Morris GOP jubilant over the ‘line’; Insider NJ’s Primary Election Day War Room; in LD3, Durr beat back Sawyer challenge, Burzichelli says ‘on to the main event‘; n LD4, DelBorrello slate won; in LD24, Fantasia and Inganamort prevailed; in LD26, Pennacchio prevailed, saying ‘nothing we left on the field‘; in LD27, Codey defeated Gill; in LD28, the party line won; Selen defeated DGroot
The controversial StayNJ proposal moved forward, according to NJ.com.
Senator Steinhardt introduced legislation updating the identify theft law to include impersonation using AI and deepfake technology.
MBI President and former Assemblyman Rudy Garcia’s mother passed away earlier this week.
ICYMI: Scutari introduced the StayNJ proposal; Coughlin unveiled StayNJ proposal; Murphy threatens veto of budget; Assemblywoman Yustein sworn-in; legislative leaders gently nudged Murphy closer to lame duck
Take a look at Insider NJ’s 2023 All-Inclusive Power Packages for our publications and specials editions this year.
Download and read Insider NJ’s Primary Elections special edition publication and Insider NJ’s ‘Addressing Youth Mental Health In New Jersey‘ special edition publication.
As Senator Menendez faces another federal probe, a potential downfall would send tremors through the state’s political world.
There are bigger consequences of what went down in the municipal elections in Hudson County.
As George Norcross announces his departure from Jersey politics, who will emerge as the next leader in South Jersey?
Download and read Insider NJ’s municipal elections special edition publication.
In Highland Park, the mayor and councilmembers prevailed in the Democratic primary.
In Belmar, Renner won the GOP nomination, according to TAPinto.
In Boonton, the town approved the Pride flag raising, but not at Boro Hall, according to the Daily Record.
In Fair Lawn, schools want community input in the search for the superintendent, according to the Bergen Record.
In Flemington, the repeal of the ordinance regarding multi-use multi-family overlay district failed, according to TAPinto.
In Hanover, the BOE repealed the controversial parental notification policy, according to NJ.com.
In Hawthorne, the general election field is set following the primary, though possible independent candidates loom, according to TAPinto.
In Madison, a write-in campaign propelled a GOP candidate in the primary, according to NJ Hills.
In Middle Township, business owners expressed concern over sign and flag ordinances, according to the Press of Atlantic City. The township is studying expanding the Rio Grande development area.
In Millburn, the committee discussed the development fee ordinance, according to TAPinto.
In Montclair, Mayor Spiller says the FBI and Homeland Security are investigating a cyberattack, according TAPinto.
In Paramus, the primary results set up the general election, according to TAPinto.
In Readington, the committee punted a vote on the loitering ordinance, according to MyCentralJersey.
In Roxbury, Hall and Carey won the GOP primary, according to NJ Hills.
In Woodland Park, the town approved a share services agreement with the library, according to TAPinto.
ICYMI: In Parsippany, Carifi, Kandi, and McGrath leading; in Dover, Dodd won; in Mendham Township, Todd Christie won; in Toms River, Mayor Hill lost
Insider NJ columnist Jay Lassiter writes ‘Straight But Not Narrow, Volume 4‘
Insider NJ columnist Bob Hennelly writes ‘The Toxic Cloud Upon Us‘ and ‘Christie Rerun will Pay Residuals‘
Insider NJ columnist Carl Golden writes ‘ELEC And The Courts Are Waiting…And Waiting…And Waiting‘
Insider NJ columnist Alan Joel Steinberg writes ‘The Christie Presidential Campaign may Play a Decisive Role‘
Insider NJ columnist Anjali Mehrotra writes ‘Book Bans: the Latest Version of ‘Build the wall’‘
AROUND THE WEB:
Margin of victory: See where NJ primary candidates sailed in
Genesis Obando, NJ Spotlight
- On Tuesday, New Jersey voters selected their candidates for November’s general election. Many candidates won by significant margins, as in the contests for Senate in the 3rd Legislative District.
Signs of apparent mold at troubled veterans home spark $500K remediation effort
Ted Sherman, Susan K. Livio, NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
- The Veteran’s Memorial Home at Menlo Park in Edison, which was the target of federal sanctions earlier this year over major shortcomings in care, has embarked on a costly, months-long mold remediation project after a whistleblower said he raised an alarm over conditions in the building.
How big? Canada fires could swallow New Jersey
Eric Scott, NJ1015
- As New Jersey prepares for another day of dangerous air, many of you have asked where all this smoke is coming from. It’s being carried here from a massive series of wildfires in Canada, mostly burning around Quebec and Ottawa.
Lee named president of RWJUH in New Brunswick
- Alan Lee has been named president of Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick, RWJBarnabas Health (the parent company of the facility) announced Thursday. Lee was working as the chief operating officer at the hospital since joining the organization nearly two years ago. With this change, all RWJUH clinical and operational leadership will report to him.
Town-by-town results from Tuesday’s primary election
Nicholas Huba, Press of Atlantic City
- The results from the county clerk websites, remain unofficial until certified next week.
NJ Cannabis Insider 2023 Awards: Lifetime Achievement recipient revealed
Enrique Lavin, NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
- While winners in 17 categories will be revealed on the evening of the awards, we are announcing the Publisher’s Choice awards in advance. Today, we put a spotlight on the recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award: Ken Wolski.
NJ Senator: “Never count Chris Christie out of anything, that’s how strong he is”
Steve Trevelise, NJ1015
- Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has filed to run for president in 2024. Does he have a chance to win? I spoke with Sen. Jon Bramnick, R-Union, and a good friend of Christie, who breaks it down.
Christie pins presidential hopes on attacking Trump
David Cruz, NJ Spotlight
- After announcing his 2024 presidential bid in Manchester, New Hampshire Tuesday night, former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie will officially hit the campaign trail. Christie indicated his strategy is to attack the former president for both his demeanor and policies in the hope that a more focused strategy will, unlike in 2016, produce enough votes for Christie to make a real run for the Republican nomination for the White House.
Offshore wind encounters turbulence over NJ
Tom Johnson, NJ Spotlight
- The offshore wind industry’s troubles continue to pile up — not only in New Jersey but in neighboring states along the Eastern Seaboard. On Wednesday, New Jersey Board of Public Utilities President Joseph Fiordaliso, perhaps one of the sector’s biggest advocates, let loose with an uncharacteristic rant at a developer in the emerging industry. Although he did not name the company, it was seen as a reference to Ørsted, which owns and is developing New Jersey’s initial offshore wind project.
In a prison far from the beach, these men are building lifeguard stands
Amy S. Rosenberg, Philadelphia Inquirer
- The lifeguard stand is headed for the beach in Lavallette this summer, but for the men who built it, it will be awhile before they can see it. In a carpentry workshop on the grounds of Bayside State Prison the other day, these incarcerated men couldn’t help but think about their own beach memories as they worked on the painted-white, cedar, three-person Jersey Shore lifeguard stand.
Click here for the full Insider Index
Murphy celebrates “a full week of declining numbers” then says “status quo of lockdown will remain until new cases and fatalities decrease.” So, which of Murphy’s statements is accurate? He said 2 opposite things in a single paragraph of speaking.
He;s “vacationing” at his villa in Italy, while Covid surges and the state is paralyzed by “remote work”…………translation: NO WORK
That is what happens in practicality when they are “suspending their disbelief” (HR Clinton) in real numbers and going on predictive models to make decisions. And then after doing that, they vote with “feelings.”
lmao imagine supporting lockdowns after the largest mass death event in american history and calling that a feeling driven conclusion? maga chuds never fail to disappoint
keeping up with the news
What I — and most of the women I know who are passionate about cosmetics —like about make up isn’t that the right gloss can make your lips poutier or that false lashes can make your eyes more doe-like. Rather, it’s how women can communicate messages and express ourselves through makeup. Certainly it’s not our single factor of communication, but it’s one of many forms of expression that allow us to showcase our individual styles.
keeping up with the news
Longmont Tree Service
Roofing In Brighton
Roofing Colorado Springs
So….about those 56 machines in Bergen… <<>>
Murphy running for President is LAUGHABLE. Nased on what??
What a fantastic post! This blog is so full of useful information I can’t wait to dig deep and start utilizing the resources you have given me. I have a similar article that will surely help.
Increasing Use of Cosmetic Products & Their Side Effects
great article, very informative thanks for sharing
very informative thank you so much
Murphy doesn’t want to be the president, he wants to be a state trooper.
Nice article! thanks for sharing the post!
Neurosurgery is a complex and demanding medical specialty that requires an exceptional level of skill and experience. Dr. Shiau is undoubtedly one of the best neurosurgeons in New Jersey, and patients in Jersey City, Maplewood, Holmdel, Paramus, and Bergen County can rest assured that they are receiving the best possible care under his expertise. Neurosurgeon nj
Meet Dr. John Shiau, the leading neurosurgeon in NJ, at Complete Medical Wellness. Discover his expertise and how he can help you with your neurological conditions. Check out this article for more information. neurosurgeon NJ